Saturday, June 06, 2015

"Over 100 Years" Giclée Canvas Edition



12" x 18" Giclée Edition on Archival Canvas by Artist Ray Holbrook

This is a multi-generational farm. This is a century farm belonging to the Knapp family near present day Westfield, Iowa. It is on the national register of historic century farms. I met Mr. Knapp in 1987, three years before my first-born came along. I took a lot of pictures and kept them in a box for a few years before I decided to paint it. By the time I painted this painting Mr. Knapp had passed and the next generation has taken the rains. I painted this farm three times over the years because I simply found this heart-fully nostalgic and I often wandered what it might be like living off such a grand farm. Mr. Knapp told me that his great grandfather and neighbors built this barn in a time when people were still using horses and buggies. I can only imagine them using hand tools to build this fantastic structure. Keep in mind it was designed to be filled to the brim with hay and supplies to last an entire winter, hence its enormous size.

This barn is on of the oldest and well kept in northwest Iowa, and it is absolutely spectacular because of its’ awesome size. I have never since seen such a large barn; especially considering it was built by hand in a long-gone era. I estimate this barn to be almost 65 to 70 feet tall (seven stories). The perspective of the size of a full-grown man seems to be the size of an ant in comparison. You can fit a modern tractor in the doors at both ends of the building. Specifically designed to maintain livestock during the harsh winters, only the tip of the roof peeks over a hilltop when viewed from the road. Along with the protection of the north wind from the hill beside the barn, the barn its self is spectacular in the hidden setting. For over 100 years this barn has stood and at the time of writing this, the buildings and the Knapp family still stand tall.

Print Editions relating to this work of art comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by the artist.
Medium: Produced from the original watercolor painting
Delivery Details: 7-10 Business Days.

SN*= Signed and Numbered by the artist.
AP**= Artist Proof that is signed by the artist.

No comments: